About Me

My photo
Susie Wild is a poet, writer, journalist, critic, lecturer, festival organiser and editor with 25 years of editorial experience. She is the author of poetry collections 'Windfalls' (2021) and 'Better Houses' (2017). Her debut short story collection 'The Art of Contraception' was longlisted for the Edge Hill Short Story Prize 2011. Her ebook novella 'Arrivals' was released in 2011. She edited the illustrated short story anthology 'Rarebit' for Parthian's 21st birthday. (All available via Parthian Books). She lives by a mountain in South Wales @Soozerama

Monday 12 December 2011

Where's the good fiction by women gone?

"In a recent blog for the Scottish Review of Books, I wrote about the lack of quality fiction by women currently being published. Or should I say, not being published. I speak as a reviewer: I review paperbacks and hardbacks for Scottish and London broadsheets, approximately 20-25 books per month, and mainly books by women. My London editor had complained she couldn't find enough fiction by women to send me; the book cupboard in my local newspaper office was almost bare of any (and by "any", I mean fiction by women that isn't chick-lit, a Tudor romance, doesn't involve vampires/witches/demons, or isn't formulaic crime). Where was the good stuff, I asked? The original literary novel, or the high-end commercial work?"

No comments:

Post a Comment